Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'm not OCD... at least, I don't think so!

Here's some cute pics of the girls and the snowfall we had the first week of November. Fun! The only thing I don't like is the yucky wet mess afterward!


Going private was a bigger production than I thought! But we're finally up and running and I feel like I haven't posted in forever! To start with, I will admit to being being a neat-freak of sorts. I love a clean house. However, I do not claim to live up to the picture that I so often paint! I have a friend (you know who you are!) who loves to ask me while I'm on the phone with her if my house is clean - and if I claim that it's not, she can't wait to pack up and come see! But since I know she's coming, I usually beat her to the punch and my house is spotless before she arrives. Why am I like this?!!! I call it normal, others call it crazy ("You must spend all day, every day on this. Has your house ever been dirty? How do you get anything else done?) Well, this past week I happened to be on the phone with the afore mentioned friend who needed to borrow something. I told her to come on over and didn't think twice about the house because since having child number three I've really gotten over it! She came over and it made her day! Food and dishes in the kitchen, piles of clothes in the laundry room, an unmade bed in the master, and clothes all over the bathroom. And I promise this isn't a first! I've thought a little bit about it and I think it goes deeper. Perhaps an insecurity about letting my guard down. Aren't we all afraid to let people see our imperfections and messes? But really when it comes down to it, don't we like to know that everyone is just as imperfect as we are?! So I'm trying to be better. I still love a clean house and hardly ever let it get crazy (cuz it makes me happy) but I've stopped worrying about what other people think. It's just not worth the hassle. I think most people are better than we give them credit for and aren't judging you. They just want to know the real you! So in tribute to letting down my guard, here are pictures of my dirty house (all from one day!)!

Laundry all over - a forever battle!

Toys all over
My unmade bed
A Messy Lunch (and kids still in their pj's!)

A Sink Full of Dishes


8 comments:

Kristel said...

Thanks for the invite! I love your family pic on the side bar, such a beautiful family!

And I also loved what you said about being worried about what others think of us yet us all feeling better when we know we are all imperfect. Soooo true!

Annie Hebdon said...

Yeaaaaaaa!!!!! You ARE normal!!!! He He. Love the pics! Am I the only friend who wants to see your house messy?!!

Laurie said...

Very nice! That third one does a number on you for sure! You are so brave to post those, since you clearly don't approve of the mess. I love it! ps. where are you guys living?

Papa Paradigm said...

That's so funny, but so true. I think you speak for a lot of us mommies.

The Finlays said...

I think you are right on. We do all feel this need to live up to some imagined expectation of others when there really isn't one. I know I am constantly trying to hurry and clean before someone comes over and then have to wonder would they really think less of me if they saw my house messy? I really doubt it. Thank you for this post. It was a nice reminder.

Rachel said...

I loved your post! I'm a "recovering perfectionist" as well.

Than and Erica said...

I am so NOT a perfectionist and I can way out-do your sink full of dirty dishes! :)

Fairbanks Fam said...

I never knew...I guess I can start calling you Monica Gellar!