Monday, October 13, 2008

A Word on Women's Health

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I would never have given something like this a second thought until a little over two years ago. I discovered a lump in my right breast one day and thought that I should probably have it looked at. I called and the nurses quickly said I was very young and that it was probably due to hormones and my birth control pill. They also said that because my second child was only five months old, my milk ducts could still be out of whack. But I insisted that they see me. I was seen the next week and was diagnosed with a breast lump. I was immediately sent to a surgeon to determine where to go from there. He said that he thought we should remove it to completely to cut the chances of breast cancer later. Until the surgery, I spent the good part of a week in fear that I might have breast cancer - at the age of 23. My mind reeled at the thought of what might lay ahead. Doctors assured me that chances were very slim and that even if it was the case, survival rates were high. Surgery went well and biopsies returned a cancer-free lump. It was determined that it was probably a clogged milk duct from my pregnancy. Later we learned that 85% of breast cancer begins in a milk duct. Had we left it untreated, it very well could have developed later on in life to cancer. They told me that from now on I must keep close watch for any other lumps. The reason I feel so strongly about this now is because we all say, "It will never happen to me." And even though I'm fine, it was a close enough brush for me that I will always do my part to make sure that my health is in check. You never know. I was 23. So do your part to stay healthy and make it a habit to get yearly routine check-ups. You could be saving yourself a lifetime!

1 comment:

Parley and Katie Call said...

Scary! I'm glad everything is ok now. It is something all women should think about, regardless of age. My grandma had breast cancer, and ultimately it's what killed her, even tho she went into remission for a long time. My mom and aunt have had lumps, thankfully nothing too serious. But it's certainly in the back of my mind, as it should be.