Thursday, February 19, 2009

Good Cookin' and Influenza

Sweet and Sour Chicken from the kitchen of Sarah


Well, to start with I thought it would be fun to share one of my favorite recipes. Everyone loves good food and this is one of my favorites. It's a sweet and sour chicken and every single person in our family will eat it. I have some that say it's a little time-consuming but it's so worth it! It takes me about thirty minutes to throw it together and then it takes 30 minutes to cook. So while it's cooking I make my vegatables and rice.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 egg
Cornstarch to coat chicken
Vegatable Oil for cooking

Sauce (bring the following to a biol and cook until thickened. Continually stir so that it doesn't burn! Don't worry if it doesn't thicken up much. It will in the oven when it bakes.)

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBSP cornstarch


First defrost the chicken. Then cut it into small cubes. Take a large ziploc bag and crack an egg in it. Put all the chicken in the bag with the egg and close it. Roll the chicken aournd so it gets coated by the egg. Then pour cornstarch in the bag (enough to coat all the chicken), close the bag, and roll the chicken aournd again to coat it. In the meantime, heat a skillet of vegatable oil. Pour your coated chicken in the heated oil and brown all pieces, tunring occasionally. while your chicken is browning, make your sauce listed aboce. Then put all your browned chicken in an oven-safe baking dish (I usr a 9x13) and pour sauce over it. Bake entire dish for 30 minutes @ 350 degrees. Serve with steamed stirfy mix and white rice. Yummy!



Secondly, it's been a long week! All the kids have been sick but Liz seemed especially bad and it hit all at once. I was worried and so I ran her to the doctor and they ran a test. She had influenza! SO, a shot later we left the office and headed to get antibiotics. I felt so bad for her! Here she is when we got back from the doctor - totally tuckered out!!!! The only risk is that it could become pnuemonia and that's what the medicine is for. So hopefully it runs it's coarse quickly! We want to be better!!!

3 comments:

Andrea McEntire said...

I am trying that chicken recipe! It looks so good. I hope your babies get better!

Darcy said...

I'm making this for dinner tonight!

Brooke said...

That looks delish! So sad when kids are sick.